24.8.07

It is time to seek change

How could we solve our problems when we find that the adults behave with the same mentality of retardation and follows old fashioned thinking? How could you talk to them? We fear to wound them sure. If we tell them that what they do is wrong or they should not do that, they will see it as an offense against them that one should not do. However, there should be a dialog when we see something wrong taking place, the adult and our parents should be tolerant and understanding. I know that youth avoid to engage in such discussions that might hurt parents because they say it is a long story and that parents will not listen to us and we feel ashamed, we fear to oppose them or offend them (this is for respect to elderly in general and to parents in particular). Other youth say that if we talk to our parents they will never listen to us and wewill make them angry so there is no use to initiate such discussions or talks.

I would compare the parents in the Arab world with the politicians and governments in specific, and the youth with the people and the public opinion (PO). The politicians do not want to change and they fear change while the PO wants the change and wants to talk, (not like youth who hesitate to talk to parents). The PO is almost absent in the Arab world or is not active at all. Why PO is passive? There should be as many as reasons as one can imagine. First of all, the incredible intolerance of the politicians and governments, poverty, and the fact that the PO is still not very much cultivated, and its elements still think the old fashioned thinking. However, we should underline that both governments and PO elements share the same background including values and culture, but politics and governing should not always stick to culture and values as much as it does to the absolute value of change and competition in a world where we witness every day a new development and change. This trend of change is absolute and one can not stop world from change.

Therefore, the PO classes should themselves believe in change more than the politicians or governments do because those in office fear change and the repercussions of their policies, and this is not justified but they do so either for lack of information or for lack of courage and self-confidence. However, the main reason for the governments not to change their mentality is the fear from losing their privileges and people's made-importance which is the nature of human. (I have never been politician or in a high profile position because I am young and even I do not like politics nor do I have ambitions at all, but when I see that the affairs of my country badly managed, I strongly believe that I should interfere and say something good at least) but I guess this is one of the reasons that make politicians stick to "the chair" (as it is said in Arabic). The other most important thing is that the PO does not help politicians to change since the PO itself does not want change for cultural and traditional reasons (we call this in Arabic Takhalluf that is to say Awareness Retardation or Backwardness).

I do not like politics and I am not rich enough to reach a position in the state, I do not have a big tribe that can compete with other tribes in my country. If I advance to speak they will say from where you come, and that you do not have anybody behind to support you (This is the thinking of the tribalism in Jordan). I do not regret to live abroad; I do not regret anything at all because I understand the mentality of the people there. However, I have the right to write about my country from the principles of democracy and citizenship but not from the principles of tribalism, regionalism or aristocratism (I am not rich) at all.
However, why do I speak about the people of Jordan and the Arab people in general? for the simple reason that I find that there is bad behaviors and concepts that we should get rid of, for the simple reason that I have frequented people from the western world and I was able to set the difference between both mentalities. I think it is time to say something good, to criticize for the good of others. It is time to seek change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to comment and voice your opinion ...

youtube friendly player

True Nature

Khaldun Abd-al-Nabi

My photo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
KHALDUN A. P. O. Box 16 Karak, Rabba khalduna@gmail.com EDUCATION Jordan University, Amman, Jordan, June 1999 B. A. in French Literature, note: 2.72 out of 4

Range 2, Team 2, JIPTC
Time in Doha - Qatar
blogger analytics